Here’s some advice that can help you make sure your night is memorable for all the right reasons:
- Avoid drinks that you have not seen being poured, and never leave a drink unattended.
- If you suddenly feel unusually drunk, ask a trusted friend to take you home and seek medical help.
- Never leave bags and phones unattended, and keep an eye on your belongings at all times.
- Be sensible when drinking alcohol. Don’t let it affect your ability to take care of yourself. Drink water between each alcoholic beverage – this will help you to avoid that dreaded hangover, too!
- Keep to well-lit areas when walking between pubs and clubs.
- Use a reputable taxi firm to get home, and travel with friends. Your Students’ Union can provide you with the names and numbers of trusted local firms. If you walk home, do so in a group and not on your own.
- Don’t go home with complete strangers. Stay with your friends when you’re out, and make sure you all go home together.
- If someone has drunk too much there are things you can do that will help a lot, inlcuding possibly putting them in the recovery postion. Drink Aware offers advice about what to do if you suspect someone is suffering from alcohol poisoning.
- If alcohol or drugs are negatively affecting your life there’s help available.