The police have published a useful guide to protecting your car against crime:
- Never leave valuable items in your car; this includes sunglasses, Sat Nav, laptops, mobile phones, loose change and any clothing that could attract someone looking into your vehicle.
- Always lock your vehicle and close any windows and sun roof
- Ensure you wipe any Sat Nav marks on your windscreen
- Park with care especially at night or if you are leaving your vehicle for a long time. If possible park in a well lit busy area.
- Secure number plates with tamper proof or clutch head screws.
- Avoid leaving your car keys where they can be seen from the front door or windows.
- Never leave your keys in the car.
- If you have an older car, or one without an alarm, consider getting one fitted or use a steering lock.
- Fit a tracking device to your vehicle
- Consider having the vehicles registration number or vehicle identification number (VIN) etched on each window.