Laptops, tablet computers and mobile phones are must-have items for criminals. It’s not just the hardware that appeals to them. Chances are, your devices will be full of contact details of your friends and personal data about you. At the very least, you should use a password!
Be sensible with your gadgets and keep them safe and secure:
- Register your belongings on Immobilise, and ensure they’re covered by your contents insurance.
- For smart phones and tables computers, consider installing apps that will track them if they are stolen, and allow you to delete data and cause an alarm sound remotely.
- Carry your laptop around only when you have to. Keep it hidden out of sight securely in your bag.
- If you take your laptop somewhere to study, do not leave it unattended.
- Be sensible when using your mobile in public- don’t have it on show unnecessarily.
- Keep a record of your phone’s IMEI number, which is a unique code usually found behind your phone battery. If your phone does get stolen, be sure to cancel it with your network provider. This will block the SIM card.