Fire Safety In Rented Accommodation

All rented properties should have fire alarms, a fire extinguisher and fire blanket. There should be an adequate means for escape and the design of the building should limit the chances of fire spreading.

Larger properties – such as licensed Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) are required to have further fire precautions such as fire doors and emergency lighting as dictated by the local authority’s mandatory licensing scheme.

Gas Safety Certificates

Landlords are legally required to have all gas appliances checked annually. Tenants should be given a copy of the certificate. This is to protect you from the dangers of Carbon Monoxide – an odorless, tasteless, colourless gas which can accumulate from unsafe appliances and can kill.

For information on the dangers of carbon monoxide, visit the Health and Safety Executive gas safety guidance page.

If you have requested a copy of the certificate and your landlord has not provided one, you can report your landlord to the Health and Safety Executive Gas Safety Office on 02920 263000.

For university registered properties, please contact Accommodation Services on 01443 482044 or email Accommodation Services.

Electrical Safety Certificates

Landlords are responsible for ensuring that any electrical appliances supplied with the accommodation are safe. This includes things such as:

  • heaters
  • toasters
  • kettles
  • microwaves
  • any other electrical appliances.
Furniture supplied by the landlord

Any furniture supplied by your landlord must be fire resistant. All new or second hand upholstered furniture sold after 1st September 1990 should meet fire safety regulations and carry a label to say so. If a piece of furniture does not carry such a label saying that it meets the regulations, it’s possible that it does not, and you should ask the landlord to replace it.

There are no minimum legal standards for what should be provided in furnished accommodation but you should have a table and chairs, sofa and/or armchairs and storage for clothing in each bedroom, heating systems or appliances, curtains and floor coverings and a fridge and cooker.

Other items like shelves and desks are usually provided. If they are not present and if they are not specifically mentioned in the contract, the landlord can refuse to provide any additional items.

For further information visit your Council’s website: