Useful numbers

It’s important to know, or have easy access to, the following phone numbers.

Emergencies in the UK 999
Emergencies in the EU 112
Medical problem (not life-threatening) in Wales or England 0845 46 47
To report a crime (if you’re not in immediate danger) 101
Security staff on your campus:
Newport City
Phone number
01443 668538
01443 483011
01633 435020
01443 482057
Nightline (20:00-02:00 Mon-Fri) 01633 432100
Directory Enquiries (low cost) 118 226 (See note below)
Gas leaks / emergencies 0800 111 999
Animal rescue 0300 1234 999

Directory enquiries note: There are hundreds of providers in the UK. Almost all cost money. The three most popular ones are 118 500, 118 118 and 118 888. There is a free one, 0800 118 3733, which is an automated speech-recognition based system, and you have to listen to adverts. There is even a way to access it at low costs or free from mobiles. However, for practical purposes, it may be easier to call a human service. Of the directory enquiries services that charge and are staffed by human operators, 118 226 is the cheapest (as of July 2013).

Also find out and add to your phone:

  • The numbers for reporting your bank cards lost or stolen. There may be a number to call from the UK, and a separate one to call if you are abroad
  • The phone number for your landlord
  • Phone numbers for your utilities providers
  • An ICE (in case of emergency) contact in your mobile’s phone book. If you name a contact ICE, and you are injured or unconscious, emergency responders may be able to call your nominated person much quicker if they are marked as such in your phone.


If you need an emergency response, call the emergency services on 999.

On the Newport City campus, please also ring 01633 435020, or 555 from any University landline phone. The number is staffed during building opening hours and first responders will assist you.


Medical emergency

If you witness or experience extremely serious situations, dial 999 and ask for an ambulance.

If you are on campus, phone security immediately so that they can give directions when the ambulance arrives.

  • Treforest: 01443 482057
  • Glyntaff: 01443 483165
  • Atrium: 01443 668543
  • Newport City: 01633 435020

Urgent medical care

For urgent medical problems, contact your GP or NHS Direct Wales: Phone 0845 46 47. The number is staffed 24 hours a day. Or visit the NHS Direct website

A&E; – (Accident and Emergency departments in hospitals)

You can go to a hospital’s A&E; unit for accidents and emergencies.

Local A&E; units (24hours)

Cardiff University of Wales Hospital
Heath Park
CF14 4XW
Tel: 02920 747747

Royal Glamorgan Hospital
Ynys Maerdy
CF72 8XR
Tel: 01443 443443

Royal Gwent Hospital
Cardiff Road
NP20 2UB
Tel: 01633 234234


In case of an out-of-control file, call the emergency services on 999 and ask for the fire brigade.

Reporting a crime

If you need an emergency response, call the emergency services on 999. Emergencies may include being subjected to fear of immediate violence, or if you are in the process of having your property damaged / stolen.

If there is no emergency, call 101 to log your complaint.

If you require non-urgent assistance – for example if you are the victim of harassment or you would like to report suspicious behaviour or you simply want police advice and assistance – please contact the non emergency number 101.

Please also see the Local police contact details page. It includes information about PACT meetings, local police staff and more.

On Campus incidents

Staff on Newport campus have been granted Accredited Police Powers by Gwent Police. You can reach them by phoning 555 from any University phone on Newport City campus.

For non-emergency situations and to report an incident, please contact Campus Watch.

You can also complete the form below.

All personal details provided will be held and processed by the University in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. This form is provided by WUFOO. Please visit for details of their privacy policy.