Taking just a few steps can make a big difference in keeping your property safe from burglars.
Here are a few tips:
- Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the property, even when you’re just popping out for a few minutes. Remember to double-lock UPVC doors (lift handle and turn key)
- Hide all keys, including car keys, out of sight and away from the letterbox – a device could be used to hook keys through the letterbox.
- Remove valuables from view of ground floor windows and out of reach from would be thieves.
- Ask a friend or neighbour to keep an eye on your property when you’re away for a few days
- Keep doors to corridors locked and don’t wedge them open. Prevent access to uninvited guests.
- Mark your property with postcode and house number and register your property for free with www.Immobilise.com
- Install door and window alarms
- Consider joining or forming a Student watch scheme or Neighbourhood watch scheme
- Store any high value items (i.e. jewellery, passports cash) in a properly secured safe.
For more tips, download the U-SAFE booklet
South Wales Police have created a student burglary prevention video with more useful information and tips: